Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shells on Mountains? What?

Carly Rae Jepsen just wrote a new song... ABOUT SHELLS ON MOUNTAINTOPS!
(That's kind of a lie. I rewrote the lyrics... And yes, they are silly)

I was hiking, found a shell,
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked confused as it fell,
To a mountaintop, I'm on my way

I know for fossil shells you wish,
Look carefully or fossils you'll miss
I wasn't looking for this,
But fossils are in my way

North Face you were nearin',
Fallin' off of Everest you were fearin'
Cold night, wind was blowin'
Why's a fossil here, baby?

Hey, I just found it,
And this is crazy,
But here's my fossil,
So call me, maybe?

It's hard to look right,
At this fossil,
Because its so cold,
So call me, maybe?

Hey, I just found it,
And this is crazy,
But how'd it get here,
So call me, maybe?

And all the marine shells,
Are near beaches,
But here's a mountain,
So how'd it get here?

So, here's the deal, scientists have found shells on top of mountains. Would you expect to find them there?

Shells in limestone in the Grand Canyon, elev. approx. 7000 ft.
I sure wouldn't! So we are going to figure out how they got there!
Step 1) Read your "Every Rock Sitting on the Ground" sheet. Answer the questions and turn it in.
Step 2) Draw shells on the four stickers you were given.
Step 3) Put the stickers in the middle of the aluminum foil.
Step 4) Play with the aluminum foil to get your shells to the top of a mountain.
Step 5) Unfold your mountain. Take of your stickers and put them somewhere NOT ON THE DESKS (ex. your face, your science notebook)
Step 6) Watch the powerpoint. List the three ways to form mountains in your notebook.

Happy Thursday!
Ms. Nickel


No comments:

Post a Comment