Friday, February 1, 2013

Project Part C: Invent a Species of the Future!

Hey All-Stars!

I can't wait to see the species you invent! Remember that a 3-D species gets bonus points :-).

1) Create a word cloud and collage OR diorama to tell me about the biome of the place you chose in Part B. Show me the biotic (living things - these can be from 2013 or futuristic) and abiotic (non-living things - water, ice, the sun...) factors in your area.

Go here to figure out what biome your place might be. Remember to cite this site if you go to the link.

A note about Wordle - I prefer to use the advanced tab. If you do, you can put in numbers to make certain words really big. For example, if I chose to do a rainforest, I'd put "Rain: 100" and "Humid: 50" and "Trees: 75" in the box on the advanced page.
ALSO, YOU MUST PRINT wordles or save the URL somewhere. It's REALLY annoying to find them later. I know from experience.

Collage sample - A rainforest:
You may tear out magazine pictures to create your collage.
Diorama option example - A rainforest:
2) Create your species!
Think about what species would survive in your area. What would it be like?
Would it have: hair, fur, venom, claws, sharp teeth, thumbs, wings, a beak, a shell, scales, a tail?
Would it be able to: do math, swim, fly, hop, read, hibernate, make webs?
What does your species eat? What type of mouth and teeth does it need? Does it need teeth?
Where does your species live? In a burrow? Nest? Under a rock?
Now make your species. You can draw it WITH COLOR or create it with anything. You could use recycled materials, clay, aluminum foil, fabric, other stuffed animals (if they are YOURS and you no longer want them!).

Go here to see some neat, well-adapted animals! Remember to cite!
3) Write a species fact card!
Tell me about the species. What are 4-5 of its coolest, most important, live-saving, naturally selecting adaptations?
Why can your species survive in the area you chose?

IMPORTANT: Please don't go out and spend loads of money on this project! You can use all recycled materials. It's better for the Earth and for your budget! I have some materials available in my classroom (YAY Scrap Exchange!)

I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE WHAT YOU CREATE! I'm jumping up and down. LIKE ACTUALLY!

Two other things:
1) First person to chose what biome I should make a model for gets a Starbuck. Chose by posting below. Your post must be a real biome and it must tell me a joke (corny but appropriate) about that biome.
2) Watch this video!

Happy weekend! I really enjoy teaching ALL OF YOU! (Even if you have a case of loud-laugh-itis or I-can't-sit-because-blah-blah-itis").

Ms. Nickel

2 comments:

  1. The Tundra. What did the polar bear say to the unicorn. Nothing. Unicorns dont exist, polar bears cant talk, and the polar bear would eat the unicorn, as it is not as inteigent, but much stronger than a unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :-). Thanks Jesse! Remind me about the Starbuck tomorrow!
      Also, if anyone else posts a corny joke about a real biome before 8:00pm tonight, I'll also give you a Starbuck!

      Delete